On 2/5/2013 8:04 AM, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 04:37:42PM +0200, Karolis Monkus wrote:
I use fedora 17 and from yum downloaded tomcat-7.0.33 version. I changed
port from 8080 to 80 in server.xml, restarted tomcat and got the following
error in catalina.out file:

How are you (re)starting Tomcat?

As far as I know, Fedora is still in the process of migrating to the new
init-system known as systemd.  As others have noted, I believe this mandates
patching some of the stock scripts.

-Jukka.

jsvc seems to be in the repo, at least for Fedora 18.

tomcat-jsvc.noarch : Apache jsvc wrapper for Apache Tomcat as separate
                     service
apache-commons-daemon-jsvc.x86_64 : Java daemon launcher

The FAQ has also been mentioned:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#How_to_run_Tomcat_without_root_privileges.3F

As Chuck mentioned in another message, using third party repackaged versions of Tomcat make it difficult for people on this mailing list to help.

I usually use a stock Tomcat running as a normal user and front it with Apache HTTPD using mod_jk. However, I have other requirements that make this reasonable. You may not.

. . . . just my two cents.
/mde/