I am currently in the middle of an upgrade from Apache (2.2)/Tomcat
(5.5.16) to Apache (2.2)/Tomcat (6.0.24).  The JVM is being upgraded from
1.5.0_09-b01 to 1.6.0_22-b22.  The new host servers will be RedHat 6.2.

I would like to use the default application installation paths used by the
RPMs.  However, I would like the user code base(s) to exist in a separate
partition.  These servers will be hosting multiple separate java
applications.  Currently Apache and Tomcat use mod_jk as the connector.

I am hoping for some advice that will help me with the server/Tomcat/Apache
configuration.  I am specifically interested in Tomcat configuration
advice, or direction.  I would like to get some clarification on the
following questions:

How can I configure Tomcat to allow each individual application (JVM) to be
restarted independently?

   - We currently do this with separate CATALINA_BASE directories, and
   separate startup/shutdown scripts.  I’m not sure if that is the cleanest
   way.

What method would best allow Apache to serve static content, and Tomcat to
server java based dynamic content?

   - I’m assuming this will depend on the connector used.

Which connector (mod_jk, mod_proxy_ajp, mod_cluster) should be used?

   - I have heard conflicting reports about mod_jk being deprecated or not.
   - I have seen benchmarks with mod_proxy_ajp outperforming mod_jk
   significantly.
   - I don’t think we currently need the clustering functionality of
   mod_cluster, but may with future JBoss installations.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.