And, not to mention the technology an application uses eventually reaches EOL,
then what?  It's easier to keep it limping along until the point at which
someone decides it's worth spending money to update it.

It has been my observation that the trend where I work is buy and try to
configure or enhance the product to make it do something it didn't do before,
because I believe some people think building solutions are too complex or too
costly.

Buying and maintaining in my opinion is harder when the vendor product changes.
 You end up building additional  complex functionality around a product that
did not do 100% of what you wanted when you bought it, now the vendor changes
something and you're faced with nearly redoing everything you did before to
keep maintenance on the current vendor product version.