On 2/12/2013 10:38 AM, Pid wrote:
On 12/02/2013 17:53, Cool Techi wrote:

I am new to this, I have just installed YourKit and see a lot of
threads blocked,but currently my response are fine, the blocked
thread are showing the following

Blocker Thread QuartzSchedular_Worker-6 native ID ..

On clicking on the Blocker thread it shows me the following,

org.apache.log4j.Category.callAppenders
com.mysql.jdbc.SingleByteCharsetConverter.getInstance
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.borrorObject()
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.addObjectToPool()
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.pool.impl.GenericObjectPool.getNumIdle

Does any of these sound like  reason. It would be great to get
pointed in the right direction.
Regards,Ayush

Oh dear.

Are you doing your app logging to a database?

Is it the same database that your app uses?

Is it the same connection pool that your app uses?

This sounds like a lot of things. However, without borrowing your
crystal ball, I can't tell anything about the Quartz scheduler.

A couple of things:

1. Upgrade your Java to at least the latest 1.6.0_xx version

The one you are using has known server (and client) security issues.

2. Upgrade your Tomcat to at least the latest 6.xx version

There are many improvements and bug fixes.

3. [URGENT]

I understand that this problem is urgent for you. However, the people
here contribute time on a volunteer basis (I'm taking a break from
writing documentation for a new system). We'll try to help as time
allows, but if you need an SLA then you should purchase commercial support.

4. Possible root cause

I'm guessing (based on your partial listing of classes in a thread dump) is that you either have a logging problem, a database connectivity problem, or a Quartz scheduler problem.

Or all of the above.

If there was one problem, then I (guessing) would look to see if you're logging via a Quartz scheduler job through log4j to a MySQL database.

Now that I've got my guess out of the way, here are some pointers.

a. Thread dumps

You said you've taken them, but have only posted snippets. Post a complete thread dump inline (mailing list strips attachments). For your own use, take several 3-10 seconds apart to see what's changing.

b. Check your database

It sounds like you have a connection leak. When this happens, how many active connections do you have to your MySQL database?

c. Connection leak

As noted above, you may have a connections leak. Post your Resource definition (hopefully it's in context.xml) with passwords and usernames changed.

While you're at it, read:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#JDBC_Data_Sources

In particular, note removeAbandoned and logAbandoned. These will impact performance, so do it on a test system.

Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 15:35:40 -0200 From:
edsonrich...@hotmail.com To: users@tomcat.apache.org Subject: Re:
Tomcat hanging unexpectedly [URGENT]

There is a similar thread published a week ago. It can be caused
by almost anything, and my last suspect would be Tomcat it self.
Most of time, the cause is some programming error, like: -
missing step out of recursive loop - loading too many objects is
memory (for example, when using JPA where graph of objects are
all connected - so, when you load one object, all database is
read into memory) - some deadlock in multi-threaded
application...

How to discover:

1) Try to get a memory dump and check how your memory is being
used
2) Get a heap dump (stack trace, as well) or currently
running application when it is hang, and check for deadlocks
3) Use VisualVM to get a big picture of what the virtual machine is
doing

+ 1 here

Run this on a test environment, load up the system, and do heap dumps and thread dumps.

4) Put the application running under profiler (like JRockit
Mission Control, or NetBeans profiler)

These are some ideas...

Regards,

Edson