2013/2/22 Nick Williams <nicho...@nicholaswilliams.net>:

>> On Feb 22, 2013, at 7:49 AM, Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
>>
>> One example of false positive is that if you send an OPTIONS request
>> to almost any servlet, the "Allow" header in its response by default
>> will include the TRACE method (as implemented in
>> javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet class).
>

> Konstantin, I had said Monday [1] that I had observed Tomcat doing that
> before, but Mark corrected my and pointed out that that was fixed in Tomcat
> three years ago, and that the 7.0.x branch has never behaved that way.
> *scratches head*
>
> [1]
> http://tomcat.markmail.org/search/?q=allowTrace#query:allowTrace+page:2+mid:bvqkjjps2nvzui3z+state:results
> [2]
> http://tomcat.markmail.org/search/?q=allowTrace#query:allowTrace+page:2+mid:gg2h43ihalbdzi4j+state:results

1. Please try to do not use HTML formatting when sending e-mails to
the list, as said in
http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html

2. In Markmail you can get short and pretty "permanent" URL for a
message or for a thread if you click on "link chain" icon at the
top-right above a message or above a thread. E.g.
 [1] -> http://markmail.org/message/bvqkjjps2nvzui3z
 [2] -> http://markmail.org/message/gg2h43ihalbdzi4j

3. Response to the "OPTIONS" requests is responsibility of servlets,
not of Tomcat.

The Tomcat's DefaultServlet does not list TRACE in its OPTIONS
response.  Other servlets - do.

With 7.0.x, sending
  OPTIONS /examples/servlets/servlet/HelloWorldExample HTTP/1.0

results in
  HTTP/1.1 200 OK
  Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
  Allow: GET, HEAD, TRACE, OPTIONS
  Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:28:57 GMT
  Connection: close

  TRACE /examples/servlets/servlet/HelloWorldExample HTTP/1.0

results in
  HTTP/1.1 405 Method Not Allowed
  Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
  Allow: GET, OPTIONS, HEAD
  Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:38:07 GMT
  Connection: close

If anybody is concerned with the OPTIONS response, one easy way to
provide your own response to OPTIONS request is to configure a Filter.

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko