On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 3:03 AM, <dietmar.muel...@eurotours.at> wrote:

> hi all
>
> i setup apache <--> mod_jk <--> tomcat the firsttime with firewall. what i
> saw was a not working page. after search and read the mod_jk docs
> i see and found the reason. the firewall drop the jk connection. i try to
> set properties like keep_alive and ping but i never see with wireshark any
> package do exact the job, what i read from the doc (might i missunderstand
> something) --> send after some time a ping.
> i expect this on the ajp connection. i watch the complete traffic between
> apache and tomcat
>
> my config is stright forward:
>
> worker.list=jkstatus, tc
>
> worker.jkstatus.type=status
>
> worker.tc.type=lb
> worker.tc.balance_workers=1
>
> worker.1.type=ajp13
> worker.1.host=192.168.13.50
> worker.1.port=8009
> worker.1.socket_keepalive=1
> worker.1.ping_mode=A
> worker.1.ping_timeout=10000
> worker.1.connection_ping_interval=9000
> worker.1.connection_pool_size=1
>
> worker.2.type=ajp13
> worker.2.host=192.168.13.51
> worker.2.port=8009
> worker.2.socket_keepalive=1
> worker.2.ping_mode=A
> worker.2.ping_timeout=10000
> worker.2.connection_ping_interval=9000
> worker.2.connection_pool_size=1
>
> i play with the values but i never see something periodical at the network
> side.
>
> my system:
>
> redhat 6.4 / 64bit, apache 2.2.15 and mod_jk 1.2.37 --> tomcat latest
>
> any help / comment is wellcome
>
> thanks dietmar

Well in this case I can think of only one reason of this not to work: the
firewall is dropping the ICMP packets. What kind of firewall are we talking
about here? Is it hardware one or the iptables on tomcat server. Anyway,
easy to test, switch off the firewall and then check if you can see the
pings.