Chris,

For Tomcat 6.0.36 it reports:

Protocols TLS 1.2     Yes TLS 1.1     Yes TLS 1.0     Yes SSL 3.0
Yes SSL 2.0     No

Tomcat 7.0.37:

Protocols TLS 1.2     No TLS 1.1     No TLS 1.0     Yes SSL 3.0
Yes SSL 2.0     No

I agree, it is strange.

Hmm... I didn't notice any difference in code between Tomcat 6 and 7
in this regard: maybe someone with a bit more knowledge than I can
comment...

Are you using APR or anything like that with Tomcat 7?

No I don't. I'm testing with out-of-the box BIO connector.

I found the reason for this behaviour, but I think it is better to move discussion to dev list, so I'm starting a new thread there, with subject "Tomcat 6 and Tomcat 7 enables different TLS protocols by default".

-Ognjen