-----Original Message-----
From: Howard W. Smith, Jr. [mailto:smithh032...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2013 12:11 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Procrun and Tomcat service/OS shutdown on Windows

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Thomas, Steve <stho...@vocollect.com>wrote:

> Running Tomcat 7.0.23 or 7.0.37 (32 or 64-bit) installed as a service
> (either via service.bat or the exe installer) on a Windows 7 64-bit
> OS, we are seeing an issue where the Windows shutdown kills Tomcat
> before our webapp shutdown sequence has time to execute fully.

(Specifically, we just want to make sure our instance of HSQLDB shuts down
> correctly, otherwise corruption can ensue.)

Few months ago, my web app was running on Windows Server 2003 R2, 32-bit Client
JVM and Tomcat versions 7.0.34 and 7.0.35. Within the last 3 months, my web app
has been running on Windows Server 2008 R2, 64-bit Server JVM, and Tomcat
version 7.0.35 and 7.0.37 (since I am running TomEE 1.5.2+).

anyway, Windows shutdown and restarted itself because of Windows Updates
(automatic updates) and i have experienced at least 1 power outage due to
storm(s), and my Apache Derby (embedded) has not corrupted yet, at all.

My manager has had our app and HSQLDB running for a while on his laptop and
hasn't seen an issue, either.  Our customer had several shutdowns where
everything was fine (even though the shutdown sequence wasn't even started) and
then had a couple where we had gotten so far as to issue the SHUTDOWN command
to HSQLDB and then the database came back corrupt on the next startup.

Thanks for your input...still reviewing the posts today.

Regards,

Steve

This message is intended only for the named recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or
taking any action based on the contents of this information is strictly
prohibited.