Hi Christopher

my comment +++

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
Gesendet: Dienstag, 26. März 2013 21:19
An: Tomcat Users List
Betreff: Re: [tomcat 5.5.26] why are not all log4j.properties files parsed

Josef,

On 3/26/13 12:20 PM, Stadelmann Josef wrote:
> we have multiple applications deployed as war files into tomcat
> webapps.
>
> each apps has its class directory among a lib directory

Can you explain that in more detail? I do not understand...

+++ your rigth, my real stupid expression, sorry!

> we use log4j-1.2.16 and so each web apps/web-inf/classes has its
> log4j.properties file
>
> what we do not understand is the order in which tomcat deployes the
> several web apps and what we do even less understand is in which order
> the various log4j.properties are parsed and used. OR are they just
> parsed and not used, or later used orperhapsused, I tell you "it is a
> mess!"

I highly suspect that you have log4j.jar in either common/lib or shared/lib. In
that case, your log4j will initialize only once, probably incorrectly.

+++ this is interessting.
IA64-2>dir [.shared]
Directory DKA3:[APACHE.JAKARTA.TOMCAT.shared]
classes.DIR;1       lib.DIR;1
Total of 2 files.
IA64-2>dir [.shared.classes]
%DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
IA64-2>dir [.shared.lib]
%DIRECT-W-NOFILES, no files found
IA64-2>dir
Directory DKA3:[APACHE.JAKARTA.TOMCAT.common]
classes.DIR;1       endorsed.DIR;1      endorsed^.tar.gz;1  i18n.DIR;1 lib.DIR;1
Total of 5 files.
IA64-2>

we use this lib and classes directory in tomcat. it's here in lib where
log4j.jar is
IA64-2>dir [.lib]*log4j*
Directory DKA3:[APACHE.JAKARTA.TOMCAT.common.lib]
log4j-1^.2^.16.jar;1
Total of 1 file.
IA64-2> +++++

If you want to use log4j in each web application, you should put a separate
log4j.jar file in each webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory.

+++ we have done that ! there is a minor mismatch as tomcat - the oldest dir -
has log4j-1.2.15.jar
while the apps are all at log4j.1.2.16.jar

+++ note the observed behavior in parsing and later in logging is different if
we use log4j.configuration=/path/to/tomcats/log4j.properties as JVM argument
from within NetBeans when we start tomcat.

Are you also trying to use log4j for /Tomcat/ logging? If so, you have to do
that differently as well. I'm not sure how well it works (or if at all) with
Tomcat 5.5.

+++ yes - we really would like to do that;
        in example I really need now HostCongig.java's log.debug to print out
when tomcat lifecycle event  does a Reloading Context /axis2 ... causing us
tremendous troubles at the moment. Maybe we'r hacked internally by some
security folk.

As you can see in my previous answer, there is a large
apache$jakarta_server_output.log and you can see there that log4j.properties
from DKA3:[APACHE.JAKARTA.TOMCAT.common.lib] is parsed., well thanks to
CHAINSAW, I have found out all the various active loggers of tomcat; I can say,
it works. So it is up to us to define proper appenders for various loggers
doing debug output which will other whise not do any logging. also we need it
on a one to one basis because just turning on debug-logging fro tomcat is a
clear no-go in production, but other loggers like those from HostConfig.java
are real helpful in case of troubles.

Thank you Chris
Josef