But I think Tomcat doesn't need JDK. Instead, it needs a JRE to which JAVA_HOME, if specified, is pointing. OTOH, from 1.4.? in windows platform, JAVA_HOME is no more declared as environment variable but is read from registry, as stated by Marc.

Marc Farrow wrote:
Also, depending on the Tomcat version (windows installer) the JAVA_HOME is
actually read from registry and not environment entry.