And no one ever uses (or knows about) the restore partition when their pc
becomes full of junk.

However, the old P4 laptop I have running XP with 2GB of RAM and dedicated
video RAM doesn't do much for websites these days running a lot of graphics..
ahem Silverlight, flash, etc...  The web is also getting fat.