Sorry I tried to leave on what I thought were unnecessary details.

You are correct my constructor has arguments. One of the arguments comes
from another dependency jar that exists in both the webapp and tomcat/lib
so I think your guess (c) could be right. I guess the solution would be to
move the dependency out of the webapp and into tomcat/lib.