On Tue, May 07, 2013 at 04:45:39PM +0000, Jeffrey Janner wrote:
> [...]

Exactly my point.  You shouldn't have to concern yourself with
instance details; those are the customer's concern, and the most
contact you should have with them is in the case that you want to
provide a wizard to write the instance configuration for the customer.
The customer only needs to know what the variables mean, in terms of
his operation, and how they are named.

${CATALINA_BASE}/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/[appname].xml is easy to
find and should contain almost entirely only stuff that the customer
might need to adjust.  Things the customer isn't concerned with
shouldn't be in there, outside of a couple of necessary attributes of
the <Context> element itself.  You can supply a wizard to write it, if
need be.

If you want to do it all for the customer, you can ship a standard,
uncustomized WAR and a small file (perhaps a Context descriptor file)
with all the custom settings in it.  You could probably build a Web
page to write the customizations file from a form and download it, if
the customers would accept that.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.