Jose,

On 6/19/13 5:02 PM, Jose María Zaragoza wrote:
> Thanks !
>
>> You should at least upgrade to 6.0.37. 6.0.24
>
> I agree with you but I can't. Anyway, I tested my webapp in Tomcat
> 6.0.37 and it throws the same error; it only works in latest Tomcat
> 7.x

You really need to. Tell your bosses that you are vulnerable to a
number of "important" security vulnerabilities that have been
published for years, now.

>> Why is your web application attempting to get a message's
>> signature
> during shutdown?
>
> I explained myself  badly . I wanted to say "after my webapp  is
> redeployed and without any restart, the next requests to my webapp
> throws that exception.

This suggests that some component is being de-configured on webapp
shutdown but then you are still trying to use it after the webapp
shutdown (when the next version of the webapp).

Perhaps a container-loaded component (wss4j?) is being configured to
use a webapp-loaded component (log4j?). Have you placed anything that
didn't come with Tomcat into Tomcat's lib/ directory?

>> I think you have to use a ServletContextListener to properly
>> tear-down your resources, otherwise they may be torn-down after
>> Tomcat does things such as nulling-out static field references,
>> which is likely to be the problem you are encountering, here.
>
> I agree but I have no idea how free resources managed by wss4j
> library . I'm not an expert in JVM profiling but I can investigate
> about it.
>
>> That's because the "log" reference is null. -
>> -Dorg.apache.catalina.loader.
>> WebappClassLoader.ENABLE_CLEAR_REFERENCES=false
>
> Great ! It could be a solution. I hope don't have collateral
> effects ...

The collateral effect is likely to be that your webapp doesn't crash
(at least for this issue) but you might end up with a webapp-reload
memory leak if you don't already have one.