On Sun, 2013-07-14 at 23:28 +0200, André Warnier wrote:
> Alireza Fattahi wrote:
> > Well,
> >
> > If we want to follow up that post , then we should belive that:
>
> Tomcat is an inclusive church, and you can believe what you want.
> Konstantin is one of the Tomcat developers however, so you should
> probably consider what he wrote and try to understand it correctly.
>
> > Setting the mime type is not working for css
>
> That is not what he wrote.
>
> Setting the MIME type in (tomcat)/conf/web.xml /does/ work, for the
> default servlet which is used by default in all webapps to serve
> static documents. But in the case of the logic which you want to
> implement, the CSS is not a static document, so it is not relevant to
> your specific case.
>
> He gave you the proper syntax for Tomcat 7, because previously you did
> not mention the Tomcat version that you were using.
>
> For Tomcat 6, that syntax doesn't work.

> > So
> > we should use other ways to solve it.
>
> Yes. The first option would be to use Tomcat 7 instead of Tomcat 6.
> Then the syntax shown by Konstantin would work.
>
> Otherwise, he gave you one hint of how to try to solve it.
>
> Another possibility would be to wrap your webapp with a servlet
> filter, and set the content-type header there, before the content is
> written to the response object.
>
> Another possibility would be to re-think your logic, and leave you CSS
> files be static documents, and just pick the one you need to include.
>
> That you want or don't want to use a certain logic is your choice; but
> if you pick a logic which is difficult to implement in the version of
> the software that you are using, then the problem to implement it is
> ultimately yours.

Another drawback to generating the CSS files dynamically is that you'll
have to do extra work to make them cacheable.  But when served as static
resources, the default servlet does a good job of this for you.  If you
don't take steps to make them cacheable, they'll be fetched every time
on every page adding extra load on your server and the network.