On 15/07/2013 10:38, Rainer Frey wrote:

> On 11.07.2013, at 17:36, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
>> Leo Donahue - RDSA IT wrote:
>>> You mention header/footers, which was in the back of my mind when
>>> I posted this.  Placing headers/footers in WEB-INF doesn't allow
>>> me to re-use these in different webapps, without having multiple
>>> copies of these? If I have a header/footer template in
>>> \webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\templates\, I can't reference it from
>>> \webapps\App2\WEB-INF\templates  ... or can I?
>>
>> There are 2 schools of thought here. One says that webapps should
>> be independent of one another.
>
> And that's the only "school of thought" that the servlet spec
> supports (for better or worse). At the deployed application stage
> (vs. development) reuse is not supported at all, each web app must be
> self-contained.

There was going to be support for overlays in Servlet 3.1 but that got
dropped as part of dropping anything related to multi-tenancy.

Generally, I think dropping the multi-tenancy stuff was a good idea. I'd
prefer to see a clearer requirement for it from the user base and it is
something I rarely see here and when it is seen there is usually a way
to meet the requirement with existing functionality anyway.

The overlap support would have been useful.

The good news from a user point of view is that I re-wrote the resource
implementation for Tomcat 8 with overlay support in mind. (The bad news
from my point of view is the first piece of Servlet 3.1 functionality I
invested time in was dropped pretty much as I finished the work. Hey ho.)

The new resource implementation is still in Tomcat 8 and should make
sharing content between web applications very simple. Of course, it will
be Tomcat specific.

Mark