Hi Mark,

This is a follow-up to my previous question about the tomcat 7 servlet
websocket deprecation: http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=137580047908854&w=2

We've discussed this internally and believe we need to look at switching to the
JSR-based server-side implementation.  How we approach this will be determined
by when JSR-356 will be ready.   Can you comment on the following:

1)      When do you expect to have JSR-356 released on Tomcat 7?

2)      How long do you anticipate the release cycle to be for Tomcat 8 - from
the recent initial alpha release until it's GA?

Our assumption is that JSR-356 will be ready in Tomcat 7 long before Tomcat 8
is GA.  The critical factor for us will be WHEN that happens.  We're
tentatively looking at a release in October that will have websocket support.
As a result, if Tomcat 7 JSR support is ready in September, we could begin work
on Tomcat 8 RC1, then back-port our JSR server code to Tomcat 7 and release on
time with the new implementation.  If, however, Tomcat 7 JSR support won't be
ready until October, then we'll have to plan on releasing with the existing
Servlet implementation.

I understand dates constantly change based on priorities, but if you can
provide any clarification that would be great.

Thanks,
Bob