On 07/08/2013 15:46, jieryn wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Christopher Schultz
> <ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>> The servlet specification requires that certain services be provided
>> by the container. Among them are a) a default servlet to serve content
>> for which no other servlet mapping exists (e.g. static files, etc.)
>> and b) a servlet called "jsp" that is, by default, mapped to "*.jsp".
>
> I was not aware of that requirement, thank you for the information.
>
>> Tomcat chooses to provide the above services by using conf/web.xml as
>> a default. If you break that mechanism, you are going to lose some
>> functionality. The webapp should be able to rely on the default and
>> JSP servlets being available even without specifically configuring
>> them in the webapp's own web.xml.
>
> There's actually no requirement for a web.xml for now two releases of
> the Servlet specification. How does the Apache Tomcat community feel
> about coding these core servlets with @WebServlet and let them be
> automatically discovered through the normal metadata-complete=false
> processing?

Work is in hand to move the JSP support to a ServletContainerInitializer
based configuration in Tomcat 8 onwards.

The other aspects of conf/web.xml could be moved to a similar approach
but there are associated knock-on effects in terms of increased start
times that mean it is unlikely to happen.

Mark