Chuck,

On 8/9/13 10:08 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: Seema Patel [mailto:seema...@hotmail.com] Subject: RE:
Upgrade to Tomcat 7 Issues

In my WEB-INF/lib I have the following (sorry the list is quite
long): activation.jar

In Tomcat7.0/lib directory I have (I have grouped them
alphabetically so it doesn't make the list too long downwards,
like the above list)

activation.jar j2ee.jar

You must never, never, never have the same class files in multiple
locations in the class loader hierarchy (e.g., activation.jar and
several others).

I don't think "activation" is something provided by servlet
containers. I don't see it in a stock Tomcat, for example.

JavaBeans activation framework (activation.jar) was required for Java mail when running on older versions of the JRE. It has been included since JRE 6 (can't remember the minor version).

Since the original poster has upgraded to JRE 7, there should be no need for this JAR either in $CATALINA_HOME/lib or WEB-INF/lib of the application.

Also, j2ee.jar must never be present anywhere in any Tomcat
installation.

I'm not sure what's in this particular j2ee.jar, but you're probably
right that it does not belong. The container should provide all
services to the webapp. If you want a more fully-functional J2EE
container, consider Apache TomEE.

You need to start over, not adding anything to Tomcat's lib
directory, and try running your webapp.

Absolutely.

- -chris

. . . . just my two cents.