-----
Is there a way that I can specify something in the server.xml code
that would register them? The only thing I can see is to create a
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleListener and put the code to register
the plugins in there.

Is there some other way of doing it?
How would you do it if you weren't running under Tomcat?
I only ever run Java with tomcat (or maybe ant), so I wouldn't know.
Perhaps you have to place youe plugins under an "endorsed" directory
(i.e. one specified via JAVA_ENDORSED_DIRS environment variable when
using Tomcat startup scripts).

- -chris

Well, I think this is how it's "supposed" to be done. However, the jar's internal getResourceAsStream() function is failing when it's trying to load properties that are built into the jar. This is being tested without a security manager. It looks like being run in java.endorsed.dirs is breaking the classloader. I did some research, and it looks like java.endorsed.dirs runs in Tomcat's Bootstrap classloader. The comments in the class loader howto don't make me optimistic that I could make this work.

I think I'm just going to follow through on my original idea of using a PluginLoader as a LifecycleListener

--
George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.