Alec,

Please keep discussions on the mailing lists so others can benefit
from them.

On 9/19/13 12:01 PM, Tomcat Random wrote:
> The answer for am I going to be using SSL is maybe. It's not
> mandatory, but would be nice for an admin area of the site. I
> already built the tcnative stuff and APR is working, but not under
> load.

Do you mean it's not working under load, or you haven't yet tried it
under load?

> I'm using APR because it was my understanding there was a big
> performance increase when using Tomcat without a proxy/web server
> in front of it. I just have Tomcat with my IP tables redirecting
> 80->8080.

APR and NIO performance are comparably to each other, SSL excepted. If
you are talking about using SSL only for "admin" access (which is
usually fairly limited in scope/traffic), then I wouldn't worry about
the performance difference.

One could argue that any site that requires login should be 100%
SSL-protected, but I know nothing about your requirements.

> "2500 users might not require 2500- simultaneous connections."
> True, and it occurs to me, sort of noobishly, where would you look
> for reporting simultaneous connections?

You can use JMX to get lots of information about the connectors.
You'll have to probe periodically and build-up a trend graph to
understand your actual traffic.

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Monitoring

> And once you know that number, back to my original question, how
> many maxthreads/acceptCounts?

The acceptCount is just the TCP backlog. Setting this higher than the
default is only helpful if you have huge transaction volume bursts and
your transactions are fairly short. If you can't handle 200
transactions waiting in the TCP accept queue pretty quickly, it's not
going to help to raise that number to 1000. If you experience huge
bursts of traffic that your app can handle with a short delay -- AND
if you absolutely don't want to give any clients "connection refused"
errors -- then raising the acceptCount is appropriate. I haven't seen
a "normal" webapp that has ever required changing from the default,
but my experience may not match the type of business you are in.

As for maxThreads, that depends upon your load, the type of hardware
you have, the length of your transactions, and the CPU load you expect
will be required for your webapp. If your webapp is fairly CPU-bound
(which I've found to be fairly rare) and you have a limited number of
physical CPUs, raising the maxThreads limit buys you nothing: it may
be worse than lowering it because you just end up running many threads
at once and thrash the CPU.

If you have a primarily I/O-bound app (most that I've seen... e.g.
stuff that uses back-end databases for most requests) than raising the
maxThreads can serve more requests... but then remember that your
database must be able to handle the load as well. Having 1000 worker
threads with a DB connection pool of size=10 means lots of waiting
threads.

> Just how rare are the APR catastrophes?

I don't have much data on frequency of occurrences.... just what I can
see in BZ for the Tomcat Connectors project.

> Is it something a tomcat restart can fix?

You don't have a choice: the JVM goes down immediately and you *must*
restart Tomcat. That's what I meant by "catastrophic".