I came across this paper by Peter Lin (
http://tomcat.apache.org/articles/performance.pdf ). In a simple xml
addressbook war he summarizes how different variables affect the speed
of the application. In one test he compares:
    Sun X1 400mhz Ultra Sparc IIe - 5 requests/sec
    AMD 2ghz XP - 25 request/sec
It appears that both used Tomcat 4.1.19 and Sun Jdk1.4.1_01

In an attempt to see what todays numbers look like I rebuilt the war (
svn co https://maven-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/addrbook ) and
deployed in my environment
    Core i7-3720 QM @ 2.60 GHz
    SSD disk
    java version "1.7.0_45"
    apache-tomcat-7.0.42

    package the war - mvn package
    execute jmeter - mvn verify

Jmeter shows my Throughput of 2.2 requests/sec ! With all the advances
over the years ( or overhead ) are we just slowing down or are one of
our results flawed ? ( I am running in VirtualBox - I think this would
slow some things down - but not this much. )

Are others seeing similar results ?