On 20.11.2013, at 14:21, Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>
wrote:

> Rainer,
> FWIW, Connection.close also states this:
>
> "
> Releases this Connection object's database and JDBC resources
> immediately instead of waiting for them to be automatically released.
> "
>
> Does that mean that all connection pools by design are in direct
> violation of the JDBC spec?

I assume you’re referring to the "Releases this Connection object's database
resources”
part, then yes, they’re in violation of the letter of the API spec. I’m not
sure whether
the Javadoc is regarded as binding as the spec document though. And following
the letter
would indeed defy the very purpose of the pool.

The other pools that I know do free the JDBC resources though. And that’s the
part of the
behavior that is really visible to the application. (And yes, Javadoc says it
is best practice
to explicitly close the JDBC resources as early as possible, but it also states
that one
can get away with not doing so).

I also think that this is a justifiable spec violation, and all I’m asking is
that this fact
is shown more prominently, esp. as JDBC pool is advertised as a drop-in
replacement for DBCP.

Rainer