> Hi,
>
> https://javaee-spec.java.net/nonav/javadocs/javax/websocket/OnMessage.html
>
> if i read that, then if i have
>
> onmessage(String)
>
> that i get the whole message as once.
>
> Where is it really specified that that also means that it must also fit in
> the input buffer?
> So it can't be a partial at all?
>
> For me the difference between this:
>

> onmessage(String msg)
> onmessage(String msg,boolean lastPart)
>
> means that i do the streaming my self.. So i take the parts that are
> there, store it, save it whatever i want. So that only the buffer size is
> kept in memory (so it is really streaming)
>
> If i don't do that "lastPart" that just means that i want the whole
> message as once, no matter how it it send to the server, or better said,
> how it is handled by tomcat (or what ever webserver) internally , how big
> input buffers the webserver uses.
>
> For example tomcat uses by default 8KB. If i know that all my messages are
> smaller then that, then i wouldn't do that lastPart boolean. But then my
> application is deployed on something else, that has a input buffer size of
> 4KB and my message doesn't fit in there. Now i suddenly have to do the
> partial myself, and my app is broken
> This doesn't look right to me.. Because now it really looks to me that all
> apps should include always that boolean param.. Because how do you know? Or
> you must be really sure that the message are not passing a buffer boundary
> (but maybe an implementation uses 256 bytes)
>
> --
> Johan Compagner
> Servoy

To follow up on this a little bit

this one:

onmessage(Reader reader)

only works also on the "whole" message
that is weird because you don't have i think really this support:

onmessage(Reader reader, boolean lastPart) (at least that is not specified
here:
https://javaee-spec.java.net/nonav/javadocs/javax/websocket/OnMessage.html)

But in a reader that sounds just weird, the reader should just block until
all parts are feeded to the reader..
But that also doesn't work it fails.
So what is really the point of the reader param in this scenario?

--
Johan Compagner
Servoy