André,

On 12/9/13, 4:26 PM, André Warnier wrote:
> Madison Le wrote:
>
> On this list, please do not top-post. See :
> http://tomcat.apache.org/lists.html#tomcat-users Important - #6
>
>> Hello Andre',
>>
>> Yes, this looks strange but this webapp
>> (https://ramlink.txwes.edu:8443/WebAdvisor/WebAdvisor) needs to
>> have 2 levels down. It can have a different name at this levels
>> (like WebAdvisor/Production), but it needs to have this format
>> for it to work. Do You mean that make the
>> https://ramlink.txwes.edu:8443/WebAdvisor/WebAdvisor to be the
>> "default webapp" or https://ramlink.txwes.edu to the "default
>> webapp" ? Do you know the article which talks about this? I could
>> not find it.
> See : http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo #17
>
> I meant to make it so that both "http://ramlink.txwes.edu:8080/";
> and "http://ramlink.txwes.edu:8443/"; lead directly to your webapp,
> but if you confirm that it somehow "must be" configured as
> "/WebAdvisor/x" then you may be out of luck with the standard and
> easy method.
>
> You might need to create a ROOT context which "forwards" the calls
> to "/", to "/WebAdvisor/".  For that kind of thing, you may want to
> look at the URLRewrite filter, at http://www.tuckey.org if I
> remember right.

If all you want to do is redirect the specific URL
http://ramlink.txwes.edu:8080/ ->
http://ramlink.txwes.edu:8080/WebAdvisor/WebAdvisor, then you probably
don't need the "complexity" of url-rewrite: just code-up a catch-all
servlet and have it execute a redirect.

If you want to be able to redirect
http://ramlink.txwes.edu:8080/foo/bar/baz ->
http://ramlink.txwes.edu:8080/WebAdvisor/WebAdvisor/foo/bar/baz, then
use url-rewrite, as it can do regular expression matching,
replacement, etc.

> Note that it is quite bad practice for an application to force one
> to install it under any particular "context name".  It probably
> means that the application itself generates/contains
> self-referencing absolute URLs in the pages which it returns, which
> will probably create some additional headaches for you in terms of
> getting it to work correctly under the root ("/") context.

+1