On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Vye,
>
> On 1/28/14, 12:05 PM, Vye wrote:
>> I have been unsuccessfully trying to remove the date from
>> catalina’s log file name. My ultimate goal is to logrotate the
>> file, which is best done when the file name is static. According to
>> the FileHandler javadoc (
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/api/org/apache/juli/FileHandler.html
>>

> ) I should be able to configure
>> *.org.apache.juli.FileHandler.rotatable in
>> ${catalina.base}/conf/logging.properties to toggle date based file
>> names, but that is not working.
>
> Which log file are you talking about? Note that catalina.out is not
> handled by logging.properties at all. It's handled by the shell and/or
> launcher, and is the destination for the JVM's stdout and stderr streams.
>
>> It seems like I could fix this by using log4j but I'm not sure if
>> the application is logging directly to JULI or commons-logging.
>
> log4j will probably not help, depending on the real problem.
>
>> Regardless, I do not have access to modify it. I would like to
>> continue to use the default JULI logger since it is already in
>> use. Judging by the docs what I'm trying to do should be possible.
>>
>> I’m positive the logging.properties file is being read because when
>> I change the prefix and suffix they are applied upon restart. I’ve
>> pasted my logging.properties and sample output in this gist:
>> http://git.io/99qidw Anyone can wget the raw logging.properties
>> and download tomcat from the archives to reproduce.
>>
>> I would appreciate it if someone could point me in the right
>> direction. I’ve been referencing
>> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/logging.html.
>>
>> Tomcat version:
>> http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomcat/tomcat-6/v6.0.20/bin/
>
> You seriously need to upgrade.
>
> - -chris

Hi Chris,

Take a look at my gist and it should make sense. The log handler is
"1catalina.org.apache.juli.FileHandler" and the problem is that it is
writing logs to "test.2014-01-38log" instead of "test.log".

Again, I agree that I need to upgrade and that is in progress. But
that doesn't change where I am today and that I want to make (what
appears to be) a supported configuration change so that I can pass log
rotation responsibilities to my preferred application.

--
-Vye