On 31/01/14 12:48, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 31/01/2014 12:42, Brian Burch wrote:

Have I overlooked a configuration trick that would allow me to use the
webapp without a symlink, but still have the Default Servlet access
external static content as if it were internal?

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/context.html#Common_Attributes

aliases?

Thanks very much, as always, for your rapid response. I will follow that link with interest.

If you switch to Tomcat 8, you get a cleaner implementation and much
more control with the new resources implementation.

I have been testing tc8 throughout its probation period, but was waiting for an official release before exploring conversion of my own production environment... partly conservatism, but also because I didn't need any of the new features... until now, perhaps.

I was planning to bring my 7.0.42 production system up-to-date soon, but maybe my energy would be better used starting with a nice clean 8.0.x implementation.

I'll get back to you if I don't understand, but otherwise, thanks very much,

Brian

Mark