On 24/02/2014 16:15, David kerber wrote:
> On 2/24/2014 10:59 AM, Leo Donahue wrote:
>> In general, is it assumed that all responses given to the list assume
>> the OP is running a version of Linux, if they don't state the OS?
>>
>> For example, I read the post about "Tomcat upgrades/security patching
>> best practices" and the advice given is to modify init.d script.  I
>> don't recall seeing the OP indicate they run Linux and the list
>> usually gently bashes people for not being specific about their
>> environment.

That was more me picking an OS to respond to on the basis of my mode at
the time rather than an expectation of Linux.

>> Since I run Tomcat on Windows, I don't know what the init.d script is,
>> but reading that response I get the feeling the that Tomcat on Linux
>> is "alot" easier to manage than Tomcat on Windows, especially if you
>> are running Tomcat as a Windows service.

You can do pretty much the same thing for Windows. It would look
something like:

- push the new CATALINA_HOME via a shared drive
- remote tweak the registry to point to the new CATALINA_HOME
- remote restart the service

All of the above can be scripted if you wish. Rather than pushing you
could pull with some simple scripts and scheduled jobs.

>> I would have thought that another option to that post would be to use
>> the "appBase" attribute of a Host element and just move your webapps
>> out of the traditional location located within the Tomcat installation
>> directory.  But I guess I didn't understand the OP.
>>
>> Is it time for us to go to Linux?
>
> Not if you're already used to windows and not familiar with Linux; the
> difference isn't big enough to justify the learning curve.
>
> I use TC on windows at work, and my home server is Linux (Debian).  The
> main advantage of windows is that you have GUIs available for setting
> most options, which is easier if you don't know exactly what you're
> looking for.  The advantage of Linux IMO is that you have more
> fine-grained control of things, once you know what you're looking for.
>
> If you know either one of them well, switching isn't going to be enough
> of a gain from an administration POV to be worth the learning curve.

+1

>  Of
> course, there may be other considerations in your particular environment
> that may drive the decision one way or another.

I've worked with Tomcat on Windows, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, HP-UX and
some more unusual hardware like plug-computers. By far the biggest issue
the first time I hit a new OS is figuring out how to do stuff in that OS.

I'm comfortable with most OSes these days. Given a free choice for a
server I'd start from some flavour of Linux but my desktop where I do
all of my dev is Windows and is likely to stay that way (multi-head
support for old-ish hardware is so much less hassle with Windows).

Mark