The shutdown port is not needed for a Windows service, but it is usable if
configured.
In other words, assuming the default configuration, if someone were to send
"SHUTDOWN" to the localhost port 8005, then Tomcat would shutdown.
I couldn't tell from the documentation
(http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/server.html), but I seem to
recall that the "port" attribute is required on the <Server> tag.  For all my
Windows installations, I just set it to -1 and let the Commons Daemon
implementation (tomcat.exe) take care of the shutdown task.
FYI: Tomcat implements the Java Daemon API, which is the mechanism that the
Apache Commons Daemon (http://commons.apache.org/proper/commons-daemon/)
executables use to communicate with the Tomcat. The ACD is a C program that
loads the JVM and tells it to run the Tomcat bootstrap. Then it just listens
for system signals.  There is a Windows version (procrun) and a Unix/Linux
version (jsvc).  This is a separate utility that you can use if you have
standalone Java programs you need to run as a service.
BTW: The JVM exits when Tomcat issues a System.exit() call.

> 2.  I may need to start using HTTPS for my data transfer for at least
> one of the instances.  If that instance is going to allow only HTTPS
> (and not HTTP), can I just make the current HTTP port into HTTPS?  Or
> do I need to configure an additional port?  If I need an additional
> port, and the shutdown port isn't needed, I could just turn the
> shutdown port into the HTTPS port, right?

You don't mention your setup, but I would use the standard HTTPS port of 443
and actually provide both the HTTP and HTTPS connectors, then configure the
application to force HTTPS where necessary via the web.xml directives.
But then again, it depends on your implementation.

> I understand that there are significant configuration changes needed
> for HTTPS, and will be back if I run into issues with it, but for now
> I'm only asking about the TCP ports.
>
> Thanks!
> Dave

Be careful of whether you are also running with the native/APR library.  The
SSL configuration requirements are different if doing so.  It is all well
documented in the Tomcat documentation.
Jeff