On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM, Christopher Schultz <
ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> On 3/4/14, 2:10 PM, Charles Richard wrote:
> > The tomcat version is 6.0.30.
>
> You should look at the changelog and security reports. I think you're
> going to want to upgrade.

That  is something that would be the next priority after understanding our
connection pooling issues. If upgrading Tomcat would help with this as
well, we would definitely try to fasttrack it. We usually try to change one
thing at a time on our production environment.

> Can we still use Hibernate in our Spring application if we
> > configure the Data Source through a context.xml?
>
> Yup. You just need to tell Hibernate that you already have a
> DataSource. I'm not exactly sure how to do that, but I'm confident it
> can be done. You posted only the DataSource configuration itself and
> it didn't have a name (other than the "id"). You'll need to figure out
> how to get Hibernate to use an existing (external) DataSource rather
> than configuring it yourself as you have done.
>
> I'm really not sure how that could be done either but hopefully the
developers here could help me with this.

> > We are not using a context.xml right now, can I use the
> > context.xml in $TOMCAT_HOME/conf?
>
> No! That's the system-wide defaults for all web applications deployed
> to the container. You want META-INF/context.xml within your WAR file
> (or exploded WAR-dir).
>
> > Our server.xml, the config is as follows:
> >
> > <Host name="www.oursite.com" appBase="/ourpath" unpackWARs="true"
> > autoDeploy="true"> <Context path="" docBase="" reloadable="true"
> > />
>
> You should not have a <Context> element at all in your server.xml.
> It's a wonder that your application even works with a path of "" and a
> docBase of "". I'll bet you have a WEB-INF directory directly in your
> webapps/ directory, right?
>

> We've got a WEB-INF folder in our appBase folder reference
> (/ourpath/WEB-INF).
>

> Sounds like you've got a mess on your hands.

I guess.

> Move that <Context> into META-INF/context.xml, remove the "docBase"
> and "path" attributes, and then add a <Resource> as a child to
> configure your DataSource. You'll also need to move your JDBC driver
> from WEB-INF/lib into Tomcat's lib/ directory.

 In our /ourpath/META-INF, there is no context.xml, just a MANIFEST.MF
file. I can create one if that's what I'm supposed to do.

Thanks for the help and my apologies for not replying inline on the first
reply!

> - -chris

Cheers,
Charles