I've been asked to come up with a command-line (or batch job) utility (running on an AS/400) to check, programmatically, whether a Tomcat context that's part of one of our products is alive and accepting connections, or hung.

I'm already attempting to pick the brains of our people who developed the Tomcat context, to see what they can recommend I do. And I've also asked the Midrange List for their suggestions.

But I'd like the Tomcat List's input as well. One idea I had, since we bundle an open-source AS/400 HTTP client library called HTTPAPI with the product, was to send test requests to the context via HTTPAPI.

Another idea I've had would be to run some sort of headless test Java program, since the AS/400 does include a JVM (after all, it wouldn't be able to run Tomcat without one).

Any suggestions?

--
JHHL