> We just updated to tomcat 7.0.52 using the JSR356 implementation for
> websockets.  This implementation is using the annotated class method of
> setting up the websocket server endpoint.
>
> On a local install of the system (windows7) the tomcat lib directory
> contains tomcat7-websocket.jar and websocket-api.jar, however I do not seem
> to be getting those two files from apt-get install tomcat7.
>
> We are using Chef to deploy to multiple instances to AWS and adding the
> trust repo to apt to pull down ver 7.0.52 of Tomcat.
>
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty main
>
> We are accessing our websocket server via https, not wss since we are using
> AWS ELBs.
>
> After spending a few hours trying to figure out why the connections were
> returning 404 for the endpoint I realized the /usr/share/tomcat7/lib dir
> was missing the websocket jars.
>
> Is this working as intended?  Is there a separate apt pkg we can install to
> get the proper jars for websocket or do we have to package these jars
> ourselves?

1. ASF does not provide those apt files. It is up to Debian devs how
they pack them.

2. It makes perfect sense to move those jars into separate package:
1) They require Java 7
2) They make startup slower, because of annotation scanning that is
needed to detect WebSocket endpoints

https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Linux_Unix#Q5
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo/FasterStartUp

Best regards,