On my previously referenced test, I modified the hosts table to use 127.0.0.10
for the localhost entry.  Ping picked it up right away, but reported results
were from 127.0.0.1, which I'm sure was probably because of the initialized
value pulled from the hosts table at boot.  Did not try, do not care, but it
might have replied from the 10 address after a reboot.
Note, I did not expect to see a change on an nslookup, since that tool is
designed to query the DNS servers directly, bypassing the resolver.  It's a
test tool for the DNS system, not the resolver sub-system.
This has gotten way of topic, so last word on my part.