Thanks a lot for your detailed reply.

The JAVA_OPTS variable in $CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh has the value as:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms1303m -Xmx1303m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Dcwom.bl.ip=127.0.0.1
 -Dcwom.bl.port=1399"

I checked for free space on the VM instance with Red Hat Linux as the OS on
which the Tomcat is hosted with a total memory of 19 GB, I found that there
is around 8 GB of free space in the server.

As per your inputs, I am planning to increase the memory allocation for Heap
size and PermGen size to almost double as below:

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m
-Dcwom.bl.ip=127.0.0.1
 -Dcwom.bl.port=1399"

I hope, this should avoid the hang-up issues where Tomcat does not seem to
respond.

I plan to implement this in the UAT environment at first and see how it
goes.

Regards