From: Jerome A. Wendell [mailto:jawend...@suddenlink.net]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 4:48 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: Using SSL with Tomcat

From: Daniel Mikusa [mailto:dmik...@gopivotal.com]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 2:49 PM
To: Tomcat Users List; jawend...@suddenlink.net

On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 11:48 AM, Jerome A. Wendell <
<mailto:jawend...@suddenlink.net> jawend...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> I am new to Tomcat, and just recently installed it as a container to

> run GeoServer.  Everything is running fine, but now I have been asked

> to setup GeoServer to run using SSL.  An EV Certificate is already

> installed on the server.

Where does this exist?  What format is it in?  Keep in mind that when using
Tomcat and the BIO (default) or NIO connectors, you'll need a keystore in
either Java Keystore or PKCS12 format.

<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/ssl-howto.html#Prepare_the_Certificate_Keystore>

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/ssl-howto.html#Prepare_the_Certificate_Keystore

Based on the documentation the default port for running Tomcat

> using SSL is 8443.  I have configured the firewall to use port 8443,

> and edited the server.xml by removing the commenting from the

> following

> section:

>     <Connector port="8443"

> protocol="org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol"

>                maxThreads="150" SSLEnabled="true" scheme="https"

> secure="true"

>                clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

> I restarted Tomcat, but it is still not listening on port 8443.  Is

> there something else that I need to do to get Tomcat working on port 8443?

Did you check the logs?  It's possible that something failed with your SSL
setup and so it's not listening on port 8443.  From your configuration, I'd
guess that it's not able to find your keystore.  See the "keystore*"

attributes here, specifically keystoreFile.

<http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#SSL_Support_-_BIO_and_NIO>

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/config/http.html#SSL_Support_-_BIO_and_NIO

Dan

> I am using Tomcat 7.0.54 on a Windows 2008 R2 64 bit server.

> Any suggestions are appreciated.

> Thanks,

> Jerome Wendell

Daniel,

In reviewing the documentation, since I am just using Tomcat as a container it
seems that I should not have to implement SSL as shown below:

Is there any additional configuration in Tomcat to operate as described above,
or is all of the setup in Microsoft IIS?

Thanks,

Jerome Wendell

Sorry, I did not realize the image would not come through.  The section of the
documentation that I was referring to is below:

SSL and Tomcat

It is important to note that configuring Tomcat to take advantage of secure
sockets is usually only necessary when running it as a stand-alone web server.
When running Tomcat primarily as a Servlet/JSP container behind another web
server, such as Apache or Microsoft IIS, it is usually necessary to configure
the primary web server to handle the SSL connections from users. Typically,
this server will negotiate all SSL-related functionality, then pass on any
requests destined for the Tomcat container only after decrypting those
requests. Likewise, Tomcat will return cleartext responses, that will be
encrypted before being returned to the user's browser. In this environment,
Tomcat knows that communications between the primary web server and the client
are taking place over a secure connection (because your application needs to be
able to ask about this), but it does not participate in the encryption or
decryption itself.

Thanks,

Jerome Wendell