> From: Jim Anderson [mailto:jim_ander...@jjajava.com]
> Subject: installing tomcat7-admin --- I have not /etc/tomcat7 directory

> I have a problem because tomcat7 is not available for download with the
> crunchbang distribution.

You would need to discuss on whatever support mechanism is available for
crunchbang.

> When tomcat6-admin was installed with apt-get, the /etc/tomcat6 directory
> got populated for me.

That is a characteristic of the particular repackaged Tomcat you were using,
not of any standard Tomcat distribution.

> there is no /etc/tomcat7 directory to control the local configuration.

No such directory exists in a standard Tomcat distribution.

> For now, I would like to get the tomcat web manager running but I need a
> /etc/tomcat7 directory set up properly.

No, you don't need any such directory.  You do need to look at the Tomcat
manager documentation:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/manager-howto.html

> It looks like it should be created when the tomcat7-admin package is
> installed.

Again, that is not part of a standard Tomcat distribution.

> But I cannot find any documentation about installing tomcat7-admin.

Because it's an aspect of the 3rd-party repackaging of Tomcat, not of a real
Tomcat.  The 3rd-party repackaged versions tend to scatter files all over the
place, disregarding the proper Tomcat setup.  Stick with the standard Tomcat
from tomcat.apache.org, read the docs for the level you chose, and have a look
at the FAQ/Wiki.

 - Chuck

attachments from all computers.