David,

On 8/21/14, 9:40 PM, David Kerber wrote:

>>> You deserve a medal for the clear and precise descriptions.
>>> Would you consider adding this to the Tomcat Wiki, perhaps on
>>> this page? http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/HowTo#Installation
>>>
>> +1
>>
>> Now all that's left to do is for someone to make a version of
>> this that works for installing and starting the same as Windows
>> Services.
>>
>> Despite what Christopher wrote - which is basically right - there
>> is still some tricky element there, in that you cannot set the
>> "system-wide" environment variables JAVA_HOME, CATALINA_HOME and
>> CATALINA_BASE.  If you do, then each of the respective (tomcat6,
>> tomcat7, tomcat8) "service.bat" will use the set values, and
>> never prompt for another. I have not actually tested this
>> scenario, but looking at the code of the "service.bat" file, I
>> believe that in case you install multiple Tomcat services, there
>> is a potential for misbehaving there (for example, it requires
>> JAVA_HOME to be set, but which one ?).
>
> I think the intent of the instructions was to allow you to run any
> of them, but start them at different times, changing the
> environment variables as appropriate before starting each one.
> Once an instance is started, I believe it's safe to change the env
> var's to start the next one.

No, once the service had been configured the environment variables
don't mean anything. So, if you set CATALINA_HOME and CATALINA_BASE
and then call service.bat (which installs the service) then you can
start/stop the service whatever way you want and it will remember
those settings.

You can set up any number of services and operate them independently
without doing anything with the environment.