-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2014 1:44 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: EXTERNAL: Re: Spnego authentication with Tomcat 7.0.55 on Linux 6.5
returns null from request.getremoteUser

On 29/08/2014 03:51, Seshadri, Usha wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to configure spnego out of the box on tomcat 7.0.55 on Linux 6.5,
> with directions given at
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-auth-howto.html. And I am
> trying to test the configuration with a sample hello_spnego.jsp file given
> below. When I load http://localhost:8080/hello_spnego.jsp, the output is
> "Hello null !" The getremoteUser() seems to be returning null.
> My setup:
> The KDC, client (machine running firefox) and tomcat server are all on the
> same domain. The client (Firefox) is on the same machine as the tomcat
> instance, linux 6.5.
> Here is my configuration:
> So, it is out of the box tomcat 7.0.55 install, I added these files to
> $CATALINA_BASE/conf:
> jaas.conf
> krb5.ini
> appserver.keytab (copied from KDC)
> I am confident the jaas.conf, krb5.ini and the appserver.keytab
> configurations are correct since I have successfully tested them with the
> spnego library from sourceforge (
> http://spnego.sourceforge.net/spnego_tomcat.html ).
> hello_spnego.jsp:
>   <head>
>     <title>Hello SPNEGO Example</title>
>   </head>
>     Hello <%= request.getRemoteUser() %> !
> I copied hello_spnego.jsp to webapps/ROOT, and edited
> webapps/ROOT/WEB_INF/web.xml as follows:
> < login-config>
> <auth-method>SPNEGO</auth-method>
> <realm-name>Tomcat Spnego example</realm-name> < /login-config>
> <servlet> <servlet-name>Test</servlet-name>
> <jsp-file>/hello_spnego.jsp</jsp-file>
> </servlet>
> <servlet-mapping>
> <servlet-name>Test</servlet-name>
> <url-pattern>*.jsp</url-pattern>
> </servlet-mapping>
> Am I missing anything in my configuration of web.xml?

>You don't have any security constraints to trigger authentication.

>Mark

Mark,

Thank you for getting back to me with this information. I added a security
constraint to my web.xml, but did not specify an auth-constraint since I want
all users to have access to it. I am still getting the null return from
getremoteUser(). (Please note there are no roles/users specified in
tomcat-users.xml).

Web.xml:
<security-constraint>
  <web-resource-collection>
    <web-resource-name>All Access</web-resource-name>
    <url-pattern>*.jsp<url-pattern>
    <http-method>DELETE</http-method>
    <http-method>PUT</http-method>
    <http-method>HEAD</http-method>
    <http-method>OPTIONS</http-method>
    <http-method>TRACE</http-method>
    <http-method>GET</http-method>
    <http-method>POST</http-method>
  </web-resource-collection>
</security-constraint>

Is there something that needs to go in the security constraint?

Thanks,
Usha