Sorry for the false alarm.

A little more digging showed that an old ECJ was getting used at runtime -- because it had been thwacked into the runtime classpath. [Don't ask.]

It now works fine.

On 8/29/2014 9:14 AM, Mark Thomas wrote:
On 29/08/2014 14:56, Jess Holle wrote:
I have a web application which runs fine with Tomcat 7.0.55 and Java 7
(various updates, including Update 65).

When I keep everything else constant and use Java 8 Update 20, I get
errors around JSP compilation, e.g.:

  * org.apache.jasper.compiler.JDTCompiler - Compilation error
    org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.classfmt.ClassFormatException
  * org.apache.jasper.JasperException: Unable to compile class for JSP:

    An error occurred at line: [1] in the generated java file: [...]
    The type java.util.Map$Entry cannot be resolved. It is indirectly
    referenced from required .class files

Tomcat is configured to use 1.7 for both compilerSourceVM and
compilerTargetVM in web.xml.  I cleared out all the generated files when
switching from Java 7 to Java 8 to be safe.  The ECJ used should be the
latest from Tomcat 7.0.55, with bundle version 3.10.0.v20140604-1726.

I've googled for these issues and found nothing helpful.

Should 7.0.55 work with Java 8 "as is"?
Yes.

If you look at the generated Java source (I often load it into an IDE)
can you see the problem? It might be a code generation issue.

Mark

  If not, what is necessary to
make it work?

--