I am pretty sure I tried option 3 and Log4j initialization did ignore my
log4jConfigLocation setting in conf/.../myapp.xml.

What I tried to see in the debug log is the list of context parameters picked
up at start time. Despite log level was set to FINEST nothing show up in any of
the Tomcat logs related to my parameter declaration. I shall look into the
Tomcat code to understand this.