Mark Eggers wrote:

On 9/14/2014 1:55 PM, Robert Boyle wrote:
Hi,

Here's what I'm trying to do:

I'm building a web-based cueing system for a theatre. Until I
figure out how to use WebSockets, my system will use JavaScript to
refresh the webpage every second with a "cue status file". This is
an HTML file built on the fly by VB (or Python). One second latency
is no problem.

The problem:

Unfortunately (for this application) Tomcat caches the web page
internally for 5 seconds by default, so the maximum cumulative
latency is 6 seconds which is a bit much.

I believe I can change this by setting the CacheTTL parameter but,
when I try to do this in BASEDIR/conf/context.xml  by adding the
line

<cacheTTL=1000>, the server won't start and spews out many lines of
error messages.

I am a total newcomer to Tomcat but I've spend some hours trying to
find examples of config files on the web with little success.

Obviously I haven't understood the syntax required here so any help
is gratefully received.

Environment:

Tomcat 8.0.12

Windows 7 / 32bit

Robert

Robert,

That doesn't appear to be available in Tomcat 8 (quick view of the
Javadoc).

Also, I tried the following (after reading the 7.x docs) which failed
as expected.

<Context cacheTTL="1000">
</Context>

In Tomcat 7 (7.0.55), you can set this with the following syntax.

<Context cacheTTL="1000">
</Context>

See the reference here:

7.0.55 has WebSockets.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/

And mine :
https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html#Attributes

In 6.0, these Context - cache* attributes seem to have been there, but they have disappeared in 8.0.

Or at least in the doc : https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/context.html#Attributes