Konstantin Kolinko wrote:
I installed Tomcat 8.0.12 in my MacBook OS X 10.9.5
 here /Library/Tomcat/Home.  Home is a symbolic link that will always point
to the current version Tomcat directory, in this case
/Library/Tomcat/apache-tomcat-8.0.12

In the /Library/Tomcat/Home/conf/tomcat-users.xml file I added the
following:
  <role rolename="manager-gui"/>
  <user username=“admin” password="password” roles="manager-gui”/>

When I start tomcat with the out of the box setup everything looks good
except that is throwing an exception regarding <user
*username=“admin”*   (...)

The quote character before "a" in "admin" is not the straight quote
character expected in XML files,  but left quote character ( ` `) as
inserted by text processors...

 +1
Also the one at the end of "admin" and the one at the end of "manager-gui" look
suspicious.

*02-Oct-2014 12:19:44.726 SEVERE [main]
org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester.fatalError Parse Fatal Error at
line 37 column 18: Open quote is expected for attribute "{1}" associated
with an  element type  "username".*

* org.xml.sax.SAXParseException; lineNumber: 37; columnNumber: 18; Open