> Nathan,
>
> On 10/1/14 12:16 PM, Nathan Quirynen wrote:

>> What happens if you change clientAuth="false" to
>> clientAuth="want"?
>>
>> -chris
>>>

>> Hey Chris,
>>
>> If I change it to want I still get the same error:
>>
>> HTTP Status 401 - Cannot authenticate with the provided
>> credentials
> So just to be sure, the only difference between the application you
> have that is working and the one that is not working is that you have
> a different <url-pattern> in your web.xml?
>
> Generally speaking, Tomcat will authenticate the client certificate
> just using the configuration at the <Connector> level. Using
> CLIENT-CERT in the application is used for application credentials --
> such as establishing roles to be used with role-based permissions.
>
> Do you intend to use role-based permissions and all that other stuff,
> or do you just want to make sure that the client has a valid certificate?
>
> If you just want to make sure that the certificate is valid, then you
> want to use clientAuth="want" and remove the configuration you have
> from web.xml. Next, you will need to write a Filter that grabs the
> X509 certificate from the request and does manual checking.
>
> You might be able to get some help from a series of posts I wrote a
> few years ago about manually-handling X509 certificates:
> http://markmail.org/message/kzxsamuiu6bldjmv
>
> Hope that helps,
> - -chris

Yes that's what I want. But when I set clientAuth to "want" it asks for
the client certificate on every path, which I don't want... I only want
client authentication on the specified path.
I'm wondering if I can solve what I need with Tomcat alone. Maybe I
should put Apache in front?

Nathan

--

Een klare kijk op aanvullende pensioenen

*Nathan Quirynen*
03 340 04 60 | 0494 28 45 15
nat...@pensionarchitects.be <mailto:nat...@pensionarchitects.be>

Follow us on Web <http://www.pensionarchitects.be> | Twitter