Hi John,

Am 11.10.2014 23:30, schrieb John Smith:
I'm trying to workout a managed backup scheme on a MySQL production
database with XtraBackup. According to our DBA, XtraBackup doesn't lock the
database, but issues a series of SHOW TABLE STATUS commands and then works
on the file system level.

Still, just as XtraBackup runs my logs start to blow up with connection
pool errors:

Error getting database connection:[http-nio-8080-exec-5] Timeout: Pool
empty. Unable to fetch a connection in 10 seconds, none available[size:100;
busy:100; idle:0; lastwait:10000].

There's some suggestion that turning off 'innodb-stats-on-metadata' might
help so we're trying that.

Anything else seem like it could be tweaked in relation to XtraBackup?

TIA,
John

XtraBackup can operate without locks if your database contains only InnoDB tables. For other storage engines like MyISAM it still uses locks. A problem we seen is high IO load during XtraBackup. Your DBA could check iostats while backup is in progress. If this makes your database server unresponsive he could try to throttle the backup: http://www.percona.com/doc/percona-xtrabackup/2.2/innobackupex/throttling_ibk.html

-Stefan