Jason,

On 10/29/14 8:28 AM, Jason Ricles wrote:
> foo is not a webapp, it is a separate program running on the
> computer as a daemon.

I understand that. I'm only suggesting that, since you have to
communicate with Websocket-speaking web application, maybe foo ought
to be a Websocket client of that webapp.

> It has to do this stuff for it needed to be ran like this. bar is
> basically the gui to the daemon, providing what is happening on
> the machine to someone at another computer, since the machine is
> headless these programs are being ran on.

So you have a data-collection program (the foo daemon) and an
aggregating / reporting program (the webapp). It seems like it would
be pretty simple to have the daemon push data to the webapp over
Websocket. Then your data consumers (themselves Websocket clients) can
get that same data pushed-out to them.

Maybe I'm being naive, but this seems fairly straightforward to me.

> So I am curious as to how having my foo program running outside of
>  bar how it can interact using websockets?

Grab the Tomcat Websocket client library and write your code to use it
for communication. Or use any other Java-based Websocket client
library. Or write your daemon in something other than Java and use
whatever Websocket library is available (Perl? PHP? C++?).

> So far I have seen that they are disconnected and have no clue
> about each other outside of using RMI.

RMI is a complete pain in the ass except under some very special
circumstances. It sounds like you might fit into those special
circumstances, so feel free to give it a try.

If it were me, I'd do it all with Websockets:

1. Foo Daemon -> web aggregator
2. web aggregator -> data consumers