Christopher Schultz wrote:

All,

I was reading the Wikipedia entry on .properties format yesterday
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.properties) and I saw a mention of
Apache Tomcat that doesn't make any kind of sense to me:

"
In Apache Tomcat the exclamation mark denotes a Negation operator when
used as the first non blank character in a line[citation needed].
"

I'm the one that added the "[citation needed]" with a note that I
think this is false.

Does anyone know if there was some kind of ancient version of Tomcat
that read its own .properties files and added some kind of magic to do
what the above says? I think it's a complete fabrication with no basis
in reality.

Any ideas?

Maybe a very indirect reference to :
http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/uriworkermap.html
(see : Exclusions and rule disabling)

but, like you, I think that this reference is quite irrelevant in that
Wikipedia article.