Sumankumar Panchal wrote:
Hello All,

I would like to run CGI script using Apache tomcat server on Linux. I have
added following lines in apache/conf/web.xml file.and create directory
"cgi" inside WEB-INF with all necessary file/dir permission. Still I am
unable to run CGI script.

When you say this, what do you mean ? In terms of being a helpful problem description, "I am unable to run CGI script" ranks close to "it does not work"..

What happens when you try to send a request to Tomcat which should run the cgi
script ?
Can you show the URL used ?
What kind of response do you get in the browser ? Do you you see the source code of the cgi script ? do you get some error, and if yes which one ?

Did you look at the Tomcat logfiles to see if there are any interesting messages showing why it does not do what you expect ?
If you do not understand the log messages, copy/paste them here, for someone to
have a look.

Since you apparently did not define an "executable" to run your cgi-bin script, Tomcat assumes that it is perl. Is perl installed on your system ? Is your cgi-bin script a perl script ?

Also, by the way, please indicate what version of Tomcat you are running, under which JVM version, and on which platform OS (*). It all saves time in the end, specially for you : the better the information you provide, the sooner you will get a helpful response.

Note: a bonus point for having copied your configuration below, but you did not mention where you got these instructions from, or which web.xml file you are talking about. (There is a general/default web.xml in (tomcat-dir)/conf, and another one under each of your webbapps WEB-INF sub-directory.)

(*) Ooops, sorry, you did say that. But if it is Linux, then an additional question : did you install Tomcat from the "official" version on the tomcat website, or did you install a pre-packaged version from the Linux distribution ?

can someone suggest me how to configure CGI environment in Apache Tomcat
Server?

web.xml
-----------
  <servlet>
        <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>org.apache.catalina.servlets.CGIServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
          <param-name>debug</param-name>
          <param-value>0</param-value>
        </init-param>