Luka Pavlič wrote:
Hi,

I am running tomcat 8.0.15, win64 ZIP, on Windows 2008R2, Oracle JRE 8.0.20.

Running with "catalina start", /manager app works perfectly.

Running "catalina start -security" will result in not deployed manager app.

I would *definitely need* both: running Tomcat with Security Manager turned
on, and manager application. (I would like to enable "non-trusted" people
to deploy their applications to my server via manager app)

Any idea what to do?

Thank you in advance!

Error log:

20-Nov-2014 11:28:46.242 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1]
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory The web application
with context path [/manager] was not deployed because it contained a
deployment descriptor
[C:\Deployments\SOA\apache-tomcat-8.0.15\webapps\manager\META-INF\context.xml]
which may include configuration necessary for the secure deployment of the
application but processing of deployment descriptors is prevented by the
deployXML setting of this host. An appropriate descriptor should be created
at
[C:\Deployments\SOA\apache-tomcat-8.0.15\conf\Catalina\localhost\manager.xml]
to deploy this application.

Good idea to copy the error log.
It seems that it does provide some clues as to what is happening, which can be examined in the online documentation, here :

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-8.0-doc/config/host.html#Standard_Implementation

See "deployXML".

I'm not sure that I fully understand myself what it says there, but maybe you
do.
I think that the appropriate way to understand that very dense (but probably very precise and accurate) paragraph may be to draw a little logical flowchart of it.
In any case, the last phrase seems to say that :
- if you start without "-security", then the default is "true"
- and if you start with "-security", then the default is "false"
Which then matches the thing that the last line of the log above is telling you.

It's really nice, when the documentation and the logs match perfectly. And even more when the logs tell you exactly what to do to correct the problem.