On 25/11/2014 03:55, Chris Gamache wrote:
> So first, I'd be glad to. Just to be clear-- I'm not in need of a lecture,
> but will willingly take one if anyone can help me get down to a solution.
> My first attempt at asking for some assistance was met with crickets.

Your first question was very specific:
<quote>
My question is directed to other tomcat admins out there who are
handling this scenario gracefully. What are you doing to handle this
problem?
</quote>

I'd take the lack of response as meaning no other admins are handling
this scenario gracefully. That doesn't surprise me the feature isn't
that widely used.

> haven't figured out why when I post (what I think are) well written, well
> researched and discussion-provoking questions they get no traction

It got no traction as you asked a specific question that I suspect
no-one had an answer to.

> but if I
> cry "the sky is falling" folks are more willing to attempt to lend a hand.

Because you are asking much broader, less specific question.

You have gone from "How are other folks handling this?" to "Is this the
expected behaviour? Is there a bug here?". Those are very different
questions.

> Here's my go at attempt #3:
>
> I have a tomcat cluster. It is set up with much care according to
> http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/cluster-howto.html.
>
> It mostly works fine. On occasion (twice a week or so) there will be one or
> more servers which didn't get the message that a new war was deployed
> (continuous deployment using the tomcat parallel deployment scheme. e.g.
> theapp##007.war) and they happily continue to run the old version of the
> war.
>
> In a farm deployment scenario, the master node will announce to the cluster
> a new artifact is available and then the clustered tomcats will retrieve
> and deploy the new artifact. I can't pin down the problem, but let just say
> for argument's sake it is a true link-down situation. There doesn't seem to
> exist a mechanism to re-announce, or announce at regular intervals.

You could always check the source code to be sure. From memory, it
should be fairly obvious from the message types whether or not such a
feature exists.

> This seems like a real weakness in the scheme.

Agreed.

> That makes me think I'm missing something obvious.

Probably not.

> If it works like it says it should in the docs I
> shouldn't be having this issue.

The docs don't appear to cover this scenario.

> Either there's something wrong with my
> config or there's a problem with tomcat. Based on the hair I have left
> after pulling mine out, I'm leaning toward a problem with tomcat. Is anyone
> leveraging FarmWebDeployer and Parallel Deployment in their architecture
> successfully? If so, DenverCoder9, what did you see?!?

I know the parallel deployment works with the FarmWarDeployer since I
tested that when I wrote the parallel deployment implementation. I
didn't test behaviour with failed nodes.

Mark