Kernel freak wrote:
Hello friends,

I already have a project ready for deployment. It is in the form of war
file. Currently I have renamed the war file to ROOT.war and pasted it
inside webapps. I am able to access the webapp by giving domainname.com:8080.

Instead of that I would just like to use domainname.com and it should go to
the webapp. Thank you very much.

System : Debian Wheezy(64 bit)
Apache tomcat : 7.0

8080 is the port on which Tomcat is listening for requests.
That depends on your own configuration of Tomcat.
In the server.xml file, look for the HTTP <Connector> tag, and the 'port="8080"' indicated there. If there is nothing else on that system that is already using port 80 (another webserver like Apache httpd for example), then change this Tomcat port to be 80, save the server.xml file, restart Tomcat and that's it (basically). If Tomcat does not start, look in its logfiles why, and if you do not understand it, copy the relevant part of the log in a new email to the list.

If there is already something else on the system listening to port 80, then it is quite a bit more complicated..